Basil Sweet - Burpee Seeds
Regular price$1.99 CAD
FREE Shipping over $150
- North America Wide Shipping
- Flat Rate Shipping on Seeds
- Secure Payment & Checkout
- Low stock - 2 items left
- Full sun
- Days to Maturity: 60-90
- Germination in 7-14 days
- Slow bolting
This is the classic basil. The main ingredient of pesto—aromatic and flavorful.
Burpee Basil Sweet Seed grows up to 16 in. tall in full sun and can be harvested in 24 weeks. Sweet Basil is the main ingredient in pesto and flavors a variety of tomato, veal, lamb and mild-flavored vegetable dishes.
600mg. of seed
- Pinch leaves from the tips of the stems as needed starting 60-90 days after the seedlings have two sets of leaves.
- If fresh, pick early in the morning for highest oil content.
- For drying or freezing, harvest leaves that have their maximum oil content, just before flowering.
- To harvest the leaves, pinch the stems just above a set of leaves as needed from the top. This will also help keep the plants bushy.
- Do not harvest too much of the plant at one time as this may weaken the plant.
- Flowers are also edible and may be used as a garnish.
- To dry, cut whole stems on a dry morning. Tie stems loosely together in small bunches and hang in a dry, airy location out of the sun. Basil may also be dried on a cheesecloth or a window screen in a dry, shady location. When thoroughly dry, store in a tightly sealed glass jar in a dry, dark location.
- Basil may be frozen dry on a cookie sheet and then sealed in zip lock bags, or it can be minced and frozen in an ice cube tray in water or olive oil.
- You can also preserve basil using sea salt. Place a layer of sea salt on the bottom of the container you will use. Place a leaf on top of the salt. Add a layer of salt to cover the leaf so the leaves do not touch each other. Make as many layers are you have room for and seal the container and place in the refrigerator.