Swiss Chard Fordhook Giant - Burpee Seeds
Regular price$2.29 CAD
FREE Shipping over $150
- North America Wide Shipping
- Flat Rate Shipping on Seeds
- Secure Payment & Checkout
- Low stock - 9 items left
HEIRLOOM. Dark green, thick, tender leaves. Heavy yield even in hot weather.
Classic Burpee-bred heirloom chard, with thick, dark green, tender leaves and enticing, slightly bitter, earthy flavor. Can be used in dishes calling for spinach; sautéed with a bit of butter and sprinkling of lemon juice is a feast in itself. Produces dependably heavy yields from late spring till winter even in hot weather. Thrives in full sun.
- Begin harvesting leaves when they reach 5-6 inches or are large enough to use.
- Break off the outer leaves at their base, taking care not to damage the inner leaves.
- Plants that are harvested regularly will continue to produce new growth from the center of the plant.
- Both the leaves and stalks are edible raw, steamed, and sautéed, but avoid the lower 2-3 inches of the stalk as it may be fibrous and tough.
- Swiss chard may be blanched and frozen. Stems may be pickled.