Organic Pea Oregon Sugar Pod II - Burpee Seeds
- North America Wide Shipping
- Flat Rate Shipping on Seeds
- Secure Payment & Checkout
- In stock, ready to ship
Pisum sativum var. macrocarpon
Produces a huge crop of snow peas with high percentage of two pods per cluster.
As versatile as snap peas, pick snow peas flat and tender. Vigorous 28" plants bear 4 1/2" long pods. Resistant to pea virus, common wilt and powdery mildew. Superb for freezing. Direct-sow in early spring, again in midsummer for a fall crop. Outstanding winter crop in Zones 9-11. Proven tops for performance, flavor and wide adaptability. Our seeds are not treated.
- To determine when to pick shell peas, check the pods by eye and feel. If the pea pod is round, has a nice sheen, and is bright green, it is ready. If the seeds have made ridges on the pod and the pods are dull green, it is past prime.
- You can pick snap and snow peas at any time but are tastiest when the pods still have some play around the peas when you squeeze the pods.
- Pick snow peas before the peas start to enlarge.
- If harvest exceeds immediate fresh use, you can freeze peas immediately after harvest to retain rich flavor. Blanch peas for two minutes in boiling water, drain, and then plunge into ice cold water for another two minutes. Drain again and loosely pack the peas into plastic freezer bags or containers. Use within 9 months for best quality.
- Peas can also be dried in a dehydrator and stored in a sealed canister for use in soups and stews.